If you are a Bride in a wedding, part of a bridal party or even just a guest attending a wedding please take this advice:
- BRIDES: DO NOT EVER use a self tanning lotion! You are having a wedding for crying out loud! Spend the extra $30-$50 for your special day and DO have someone professionally tan you! This is not a day you should mess with. You cannot gamble on having streaks, orange color or a sweaty melt down at any cost! You need to take these steps to make sure that you are happy with your color and the way your color stays:
- Make an appointment at least 2 months in advance with a spray tanning person. Tell them it’s a trial for your wedding! Make sure to tell them that you do not want to be black, but a perfect bronze or light golden just enough to glow on your special day. (Miami Vice color with a white dress looks awful and cheese ball!!!)
- Please refer back to my “10 Steps to Prepare for the Best Tan” post … best advice for preparing for a spray tan, I swear by it!
- Make sure to have the 24 hours of sleeping in this tan, then shower and wear white the next day (and no, not your wedding gown). Do some errands … maybe even take a 30 minute casual walk or take a run in your white outfit. (Take a run if you are typically a serious dancer at parties).
- MOST IMPORTANT: after 4 – 5 hours in your white outfit, check for sweat or color stains. You need to see where you have “leaked” color. You want to make sure if you have leaked any color that this does not happen to you on your wedding day. If you have leaked any color during the day in your outfit (not while sleeping) you now need to try for day 2 in white attire. If you do not leak on day 2, then this means you should book your spray tan for 2 days prior to your wedding day! ;) Also means you know where you will sweat the most for caution of wedding day melt down.
- I promise, you will sweat on your wedding day … so your best bet is 2 days before your wedding you should have had a spray tan. 1 day before you should have showered the excess color off. The night before the wedding or day of you should take another quick rinse shower and you will be the PERFECT color!!!!
- Just remember … TEST your TANS. And if you don’t like your color after a day or two, try another spray artist out. That’s why this needs to be tested a couple months in advance, and also to make sure you can get the appointment you want for wedding day!
- It’s a bonus if you can get your bridal party to have a tanning party … just make sure your girls can come over 2 days prior, the tanner can spray everyone and ALWAYS make sure you get sprayed 1st! 1st spray is best spray … cleanest hose at this time! ;) Don’t feel obligated to pay for everyone … not only will a spray tanning person give you a deal for booking a party, but most brides maids are happy to pay their way if they want to be included.
- BRIDAL PARTIES: You obviously can follow the exact steps for the bride (especially if you are wearing white, ivory or very light colored brides maids dresses). But if not, you still want a spray tan … do not do the bride an injustice by being streaky, uneven or orange and ruining her wedding pictures. It’s mean.
- Please refer back to my “10 Steps to Prepare for the Best Tan” post so you can take all the necessary steps before getting your tan!
- Ask the spray tanning person if you can get a deal if you book an appointment for the bridal party! Who doesn’t like a deal?
- GUEST AT A WEDDING: Get over yourself! You are just a guest! ;) But, if you want to look hot, which I know you do … spray tan is always better, but self tanning lotion will be just fine for you here. Just make sure to apply the lotion 1 – 2 days before the wedding so you don’t either A.) stink up the ceremony or B.) start melting away color all over the bride as you hug her or the guy you are kissing on the dance floor as you are a sweaty mess from all the drinking and dancing you have been doing!!!
*Ps … I look orange in this last picture above, hence I will never forward this spray tan person’s information on! ;)
Happy Spraying! And Congratulations on either getting engaged, getting married or being a part of someone’s special day!
The Valley Mom